Hi folks. It’s Kona’s human signing on here, whilst my pup rests his eyes.
I know this isn’t about Kona or animals at all. I’ve just realized something and wanted to share it.
I’m actually starting to like winter. What used to be my least favorite season is turning into opportunities for crackling fires and comfort food. The winters here on the west coast pale in comparison to more snow-laden areas of the country, but the moisture from the marine layer near the beach can actually be chilly, especially at night.
What better way to warm me bones (aargh, matey!) on a cold, rainy night than simmering a stock pot full of hot lentil soup? These little legumes are my personal favorite. I love the taste, and they’re super easy to cook.
Super Easy Lentil Soup Recipe:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 can large diced tomatoes, drained
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until soft, adding a teaspoon of water to pan as needed. Add garlic and potato chunks. Cook until soft and lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cumin, turmeric, ginger, paprika and salt, stirring until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook approximately 40 minutes until lentils are tender.
Bon appétit! Enjoy yer Sunday 🙂